The Effects of Sun Damage
Sun Damage and Dark Skin
Despite increased melanin in the skin, Black people can still experience sunburn and suffer from the damaging effects of the sun’s rays. Melanin does not protect against all forms of damage. UV rays may still damage the skin cells and put people at risk of skin cancer.
How to Protect Yourself:
- Wear a wide brimmed hat to protect the face and neck
- Wear clothing that completely covers any sunburned skin
- Use sunscreen containing zinc oxide and titanium dioxide whenever outside
- Stay in the shade whenever possible and on very sunny days
- Limit the amount of time spent in direct sunlight
- Avoid peak sun hours from 12–4 p.m.
- Wear sunglasses to protect the delicate skin around your eyes